Name: Eleanor Ross Crawley aka Ellie
Vocation: QA Manager
Years of experience: 19 years
Location: Hunt Valley, Maryland
* The Elder Scrolls Online & The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
* Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
* Sid Meier’s Civilization II (Multiplayer Gold Edition); II: Test of Time; III; III (Limited Edition); III (Gold Edition)
* Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
* X-COM: Enforcer & X-COM: Interceptor
* NASCAR Heat Surface Thunder
* Battleship: Surface Thunder
* Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim
* MechWarrior 3
* European Air War
* M1 Tank Platoon II
* Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers & Magic: The Gathering – Spells of the Ancients
* Star Trek: The Next Generation – Klingon Honor Guard
1. What are you currently reading and/or playing?
Note: Originally posted February 9, 2016
I am currently reading Crucial Accountability: Tools for Resolving Violated Expectations, Broken Commitments, and Bad Behavior, by Kerry Patterson and Joseph Grenny. I am currently playing a few mobile games.
2. First time you knew you wanted to work in games was…?
When I was asked if I would be willing to help out playtesting Magic the Gathering part-time, that was my first introduction to the industry, and four months later I jumped at the chance to work full-time in the industry.
3. What was your favorite mistake?
I view mistakes as learning opportunities and every time I make a mistake I strive to learn from what went wrong and to improve and grow as a person. My favorite mistakes are all of the ones where I have learned and improved.
4. What was your favorite success?
Walking into the store and seeing rows of a game we just released a week beforehand, and being recognized from being in the making of video of the game. That was when it hit me, I make games for a living and I love my job!
5. What’s the best advice you ever got?
Do not ever be afraid to ask questions. How else are you going to learn?
6. Share one thing few know about you.
I used to do competitive kickboxing.
7. What’s one thing or trend you’re most excited about in the industry?
One thing that has always excited me about the gaming industry are the changes. This is not a static industry; it is creative, exhilarating, challenging, cutting edge and games keep evolving and growing. We do not rest on what we released last week, but rather we look forward to see what we can bring the players next that is captivating, immersive and fun. I love the spirit and creativity of those within the industry and I’m humbled and honored to be a part of this.
Bonus: 8. Anything else you want to add?
The gaming industry is competitive, challenging and captivating. Breaking into the industry can be difficult depending upon what you want to do. If your goal and dream is to be a part of the industry, learn what you need to do to enter the industry, adjust your goals to match your current skill set and learn what you need in order to advance towards the position you want. Then do it!
Feel free to reblog with a link back to this post. If you are a lady dev who’d like to be profiled or would like to nominate one, please contact Anne [at] igda [dot] org